Friday, September 15, 3:45 – 4:30 p.m.
Gary E. Schwartz, Ph.D.
Lessons from Mediumship Science for Spirit Communication Technology Research
Gary will speak to the afterlife-communication researchers. The description of his presentation follows:
In The Sacred Promise, I describe three complementary levels of science:
- Personal self-science
- Exploratory controlled investigation
- Formal laboratory research, as successfully used in mediumship science
Currently, the majority of experiential observations made in spirit communication technology research (e.g. ITC, including EVP) are Level 1. However, in order for these Level 1 observations to be taken seriously by mainstream science and society, it is essential that Levels 2 and 3 be conducted as well. This presentation provides an introduction to the following core lessons learned from mediumship science applied to spirit communication technology research:
- Carefully describing the procedures used and the context in which data were collected
- Intentionally attempting to replicate observations in a friendly yet rigorous fashion
- Using simple standardized scoring procedures that can be used by blinded raters
- Mindfully considering potential alternative explanations and investigating these hypotheses (e.g. self-fulfilling prophecies)
- Presenting the observations in terms of means and variance
- Employing other personnel to use the equipment to demonstrate that the observations are not operator specific.
Examples will be drawn from Levels 2 and 3 SoulPhone research in the Laboratory for Advances in Consciousness and Health at the University of Arizona.
Palo Verde I
Special Interest Group
Past-Life Regression Special Interest
People interested in past-life regression will meet to talk about where the field is now, where it needs to go, and how people can help it advance. It will be a time for free discussion, networking, and planning for the future.
Palo Verde II
The bookstore will be open from 8 a.m. until 6:45 p.m. on Friday, 8 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. Saturday, and 8 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. Sunday. The bookstore will contain the presenters’ books and other books by AREI members.